Monday, May 30, 2005

The Magic Falls!

There have been three places that I’ve always wanted to visit in the US- Niagara Falls, Grand Canyon and Las Vegas. I’ve always felt something mystical and magical about these locales. So, I was all excited when things coincided in such a fashion that the Niagara was only an overnight journey from my client site at Portsmouth, New Hampshire. To add to that, I would also have a chance to meet my friend Sandeep from REC Surathkal, who is in Buffalo doing his M.S.


I boarded the bus from Boston’s South Station, wondering what was in store for me during the next couple of days. But the little did I know that I wouldn’t have to wait too long for the excitement to begin. I started talking to the lady besides me, and, lo, I find out that she’s French! We got going quickly and in no time we were talking about our respective families, interests and cultures. Marion is doing her degree in psychology from the University of Toronto and is into Indian culture, and Buddhism in particualr. She talked about the rigidity of the French educational system and how people found it difficult to cope up once they left the shores of France. It was new experience getting first hand account of a different culture. Sadly, she had to get off midway for a bus change over and we parted hoping we’ll meet sometime in France! The last I heard of her was that she was having a fabulous time at the Rockies… hmmm…


Buffalo is a city with beautiful buildings made of yellow stone that gives it a nice ‘un-modern’ look. The tram that goes through the downtown makes travel easy to the University. Sandeep George, known to his friends as Jorjee, is doing his MS in Mechanical Design and shares a house with four others. It was definitely great to catch up with him and relive some of the old memories during the good old days of KREC.


Reached the Falls around noon and was spellbound by the sheer beauty of the spectacle. I couldn’t wait to go close to the Canadian Falls, which could be seen at a distance. The queue for ‘Maid of the Mist’, the most famous boat ride of the universe was pretty long, but every single person knew that it would be a ride of a lifetime. The boat takes you right in front of the Horse Shoe falls to give a picture of the grandeur sight. So here I was, in front of the ‘Niagara Falls’ with all its majesty, a dream come true for me. Water was splashing all over us, but the sight was so captivating that it is impossible to put the feeling in words. Trust me, this certainly is something that needs to be experienced at least once during a lifetime. And to think that I’ve been fortunate enough for this…..


The walk through the edge of the river before it jumps with enormous force to the depths below, is a very enthralling one. It is quite wonderful to think about the dramatic change in the course of each of those tiny water drops… The American Falls are definitely good, but everyone comes to the Niagara to marvel at the Canadian Falls. The view from the Goat Island of the horseshoe shaped falls, is simply breathtaking. I stood there at the edge of the falls for a long time and didn’t have the mind to return! The ‘Cave of the Winds’ was the last stop for the day. This is a ride on an elevator to 200 feet below the ground level to the base of the Bridal Veil Falls. The sight of the rainbow created by the force of the falls is one that’ll be etched in the minds of every visitor.


So, that was it, one of the greatest days of my life. It has been three weeks since and this note was long due. As for now, I’m enjoying the extended weekend here in Austin, thanks to the Memorial Day holiday. Watched the movie ‘Catch 22’, adapted from the novel of the same name. A satire on the American policies during WW 2, this definitely is a ‘must-read’ for anyone who reads fiction. So, until the next trip, which by the way, is real soon…

4 Comments:

Anonymous arhana said...

hi
your blog is really interesting i have always been looking at political and business blogs which are sometimes boring.

8:11 AM  
Blogger raynbow mermaid said...

mmmm... u really seem to be going places....

5:03 PM  
Blogger Arun said...

Well, so another fabulous trip and an interesting co-traveller you've got there. So, when are you learning French? ;)

Arun

4:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice Blog

Best Wishes

I have a site 80 million Down Loadable Movies If you have the time stop by.

10:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home